Every semester, we have convocation. Basically we sit in Pearce, all dressed up and listen to a faculty member say something about anything.
Oh yeah, and we pretend to sing along with the Alma Mater.
Written to the tune of "The Lorelei," students now barely remember we have a school song.
But it's not just the Alma Mater we've forgotten about. Plenty of traditions get put away, only to be dusted off once or twice a year.
Other chants, like Humpty Dumpty and the Classes Song are worn out during orientation week and then never really heard from until an Evening of Class. The Crow's Nest is often forgot until an Evening of Class as well.
So why do we suddenly dust off these traditions at an Evening of Class? Is it maybe because we realize another year has past, and we are one step closer to graduation? One step closer to fondly remembering our times at Brenau instead of living them?
Speaking of living traditions, don't even get me started on yearbooks....
So, do we have a commuter song? Because I don’t know that one either.
ReplyDeleteWho recorded our singing at convocation!?
I love your new background and your profile picture is gorgeous!
I had to think critically to spell everything correctly for this comment…which is how it all really applies. Great blog, Alyson. Again, you made me laugh and smile.
At one point we had a "Commuter Club!" You should totally restart that one :) I'm not sure who recorded that... it's from a little while ago. I do know that it's the theatre majors!
ReplyDeleteAnd of course, thanks for reading! And for being an awesome friend :)